Thursday, February 4, 2010

Jesus rocked the boat!

One of the things that I was challenged by tonight was that Jesus and the members of the early church rocked the boat. They were radical, but it made sense. I have rarely been radical in my life. I have always been too afraid of breaking the rules and upsetting other people. Jesus broke the rules! He healed on the sabbath and did all of these things that "good" Jews didn't do. He hung out with sinners, women, and Samaritans. He made people mad. He made important people mad! He confronted people. I am supposed to be like Jesus. I am not supposed to have a cookie cutter life in the suburbs were everyone likes me and thinks I'm "so nice." I am supposed to live the truth! I am supposed to do what God calls me to even if it "isn't safe." Even if people think I am crazy.

I am guilty of "domesticating Jesus" to quote Alan Hirsch again. I have made Him fit my warm fuzzy needs, but have not thought seriously about the call he has placed on my life to share the gospel with others. The real gospel, the gospel of truth and love. I have been ashamed of the gospel. Especially when it would bring me under the microscopic gaze of academics. Father God, forgive me for living in fear and denying you, take away my fear and make me bold for you, let the only person I strive to please be you!

No comments:

Post a Comment